Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Elijah's Saga Continues

Well, an update on Elijah's problems. A couple weeks ago his (now former) pediatrician told me to keep a food diary because Eli was still throwing up. After looking at it, he just chalked it up to I was feeding him to much. He also asked who told me to feed him cereal and fruit (he did). I was to feed him less amounts more often and if he was screaming b/c he was hungry I was to just deal with it. So in my normal hot-headed manner, I told that office what I thought of their theory and trekked out to find Eli a new doctor. One came highly recommended in the area where we are moving so I made an appointment and came down to Temecula last week. Of course Dan was happy b/c we stayed with him. He was missing his babies (and maybe me too!). So we saw Dr. Bob Sears, a nationally known pediatrician who has written many books and articles for magazines. He's very nice. He diagnosed Eli with a bad vaccine reaction (this all started 1 1 /2 days after his 4 month shots, but his former dr. said there was no way it was a reaction). Apparently one of the ways reactions can happen is completely messing up the GI system. So we have gone on a very expensive specialty formula for 2 weeks, cod liver oil twice a day (supposed to be very healing for the intestines), and probiotics twice a day (all the good bacteria in his intestines were wiped out). It's been only 5 days since the new treatments started and there has been an amazing change. He's happier, less fussy, and the diarrhea has slowed down and looks to be starting to firm up a little. He's also throwing up a lot less. He won't get anymore vaccines for awhile until he's healed. And then he'll get one at a time. Luci will follow the same schedule. She didn't have a reaction but we'll put her on the same safer schedule with Eli. Luci is doing wonderful. She has constipation issues but overall is extremely happy and healthy. She plays and makes raspberry noises and talks all the time (I think she gets that from me!)

No comments: